RE- Quadisagal This is interesting. I was under the …
This is interesting. I was under the impression that Kadamattam Church was earlier dedicated to Quadisagal.
In the list given in the article, Parur and Kayakulam Churches were also dedicated to SS Gervasis & protais. I read somewhere that these Churches were also known as Quadisagal earlier. I overlooked the addition of these two churches to the Quadisagal list (Udaymperoor, Akaparambu, Kothanellur, Kadamattam).
Wasn’t Jornada mentioning that Menezis changed the dedication of Church at Kayamkulam from Mar Sabor and Prodh to All Saints? From Paulinos list given in this article, the Kayakulam Church was known as dedicated to SS Gervasius & Protasius in 1760. Any further details about Kayamkulam Church ?
North Paravur Church
During the visit of Archbishop Menezis, there were two Churches in Parur ( North Paravur) one dedicated to Saint Thomas the Apostle and the other dedicated to Mar Sabor and Prodh. Archbishop Menezis re-dedicated the Second which was the oldest to All Saints.
As given in this list, after the Split in 17th century, the Church which was dedicated to Saint Thomas Apostle in North Paravur was under Jacobites. The re dedicated Mar Sabor and Prodh Church was with Catholics. This list states that it was known in name of SS Gervasius & Protasius in 1780.
For the North Paravur Church, this would mean that,
1) The renaming by Menezis to All Saints was not successful
2) It was only after 1780, the North Paravur Church was dedicated to Saint Thomas the Apostle from SS Gervasius & Protasius.
It would be interesting to find out if there are more information on these Churches in Parur and Kayakulam. Also any opinions that Kadamattam Church was not part of Quadisagal ?
I was also under the impression that Mar Abo is another name variation of Mar Sabor.
Related NSC Network Articles
- ‘The Indian Christians of St. Thomas’ by Dr. Leslie Brown
- Sixteenth Century Churches – Churches belonging to Catholics and Syriac Orthodox ( 1818 AD-Statistics)
- Ancient Churches with traditional dates of foundation & Stone Crosses of Kerala- Saint Thomas Cross, Nazraney Sthambams and other Persian Crosses
- Focus II- History, Munnu Noyambu and Kappalottam – Marth Mariam Church, Kuravilangad
- Population Statistics and Demography of Saint Thomas Christians, Churches with historical references
- “Christianity in India- a History in ecumenical perspective” by HC Perumalil and ER Hambye
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India’- Volume I -Prof. George Menachery
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar