Dear M Thomas Antony There is a short narration …
Dear M Thomas Antony
There is a short narration on Calucate ( Kalloorkad or Champakulam) which is in the lands of the King of Porca ( Purakkad) . It says “besides the things which he commonly did in the churches, he changed during Confirmation the names of the many persons, whco had the very sweet name of Jesus, which in their language is called Iyo ( Iso) and was very common before the Syond in all these Christians, especially those who were living in the South, but in the Synod it was laid down, that out of reverence for such a high name, nobody should have it. Also in this church the Archbishop found many poor orphan girls, whom he endowed and helped with comfortable marriages, which he performed with his hands before going away”.
Even when discussing the different events relating to the visits in churches the central point of Gouvea writing is Menezes personal achievement. Malekandathil gives us some details about the biographical studies conducted on Menezis. Menezis was made as the Governor of Portuguese India ( 1607-09) . After two years, in 1611, he was made the Archbishop of Braga. and then eventually the viceroy of Portugal ( 1614-1671) and ruled the entire Portugal and its overseas territories as the representative of the Spanish crown.
Dear John Mathew
Thanks for the tips and the outline of W Hermann. This translation appears to be a lengthy process and with many page numbers might take some time for me.
I am planning to read Malekandathil, “St. Thomas Christians and the Indian Ocean” and will update if I can get something more on the dates.
Related NSC Network Articles
- “The Arrival of the Portuguese in India and the Thomas Christians under Mar Jacob 1498-1552” by Dr. Mathias Mundadan
- ‘The Indian Christians of St. Thomas’ by Dr. Leslie Brown
- “Christianity in India- a History in ecumenical perspective” by HC Perumalil and ER Hambye
- ‘Origin of Christianity in India’ by Dr.Benedict Vadakkekara
- Raja Thoma Villarvattam – King of the Nasranis
- Margam Kali – History, Theme, Early References and Modern Developments
- Focus I- Ramapuram twin churches, Role, History & Rituals
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar