Dear Cheriyan Nilackal cross a replica of Mar Thoma …
Comment posted Analogical review on Saint Thomas Cross- The symbol of Nasranis-Interpretation of the Inscriptions by Admin.
Nilackal cross a replica of Mar Thoma Cross – There was an ancient cross found from Nilakkal. A part of which i heard is now at Kuvappalli ( ?) , came from the ruined Christian settlement of Nilakkal. It seems to have had an inscription in Roman or Greek capitals, but that it is so illegible that one can only guess.
The other portion of this cross left at Nilakkal was not found by Fr. Hosten when he visited the site again in 1924. I dont know more information about Nilakkal cross. If i am not mistaken it seems to be another Mar Thoma cross .
Manichaeism – There are no credible claims that Mani came to India. Kerala history talks about Manika Vachakar a hindu reviver. Based on my understanding, some people has confused the Manichiean Mani with him . I suggest you to read the chapter on “Did a Disciple of Manes go to India ?’ in the book “India and the Apostle Thomas – an enquiry with a critical analysis of Acta Thoma” by A E Medlycott . ( Its available free on Internet)
Mar Thoma Cross is Manichiean in orgin – Thats most definitely a googly. This has been studied by a number of Scholars and they have ruled out any possibilities.
Related NSC Network Articles
- Ancient Churches with traditional dates of foundation & Stone Crosses of Kerala- Saint Thomas Cross, Nazraney Sthambams and other Persian Crosses
- Mission of Pantaenus in India and Saint Bartholomew, the Apostle in India
- ‘East of the Euphrates- Early Christianity in Asia’ by T.V. Philip
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India’- Volume I -Prof. George Menachery
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India’- Volume II , Chief Editor Prof.George Menachery
- ‘Origin of Christianity in India’ by Dr.Benedict Vadakkekara
- ‘The Indian Christians of St. Thomas’ by Dr. Leslie Brown
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar