Dear John, By top hats and tattooes, I was …
Comment posted Population Statistics and Demography of Saint Thomas Christians, Churches with historical references by George Mathew.
By top hats and tattooes, I was touching upon we Nasrani adopting a culture that is foreign to us. i do not agree with you that our forefather’s had not stayed true to their old heritage/life styles. They were generally loyal to their heritage. That is why even after 2000 years we are in this forum discussing about our heritage.
It is strange that as far as the church goes, you do not want reformation, but as far as ordinary life goes you want change.
I am just the opposite. I want reformation in our church and orthodox way of life in our families. The divorce rates and relationship breaking here in the west is astonishing. Unless we go back to our old ways of life where women were honoured, the old cared for and men respected we are heading for very bad times. I believe that of all people, we Nasranis have it in us to withstand the storms of this century if we only understand our true heritage and follow it.
Our mordern education, business etc. are always talking about changes. These changes are only proving to drag us more into dependency upon corporations and businesses. As you are in Canada you must certainly know about the Amish, Menonites, Hattarites or something like that. They are old fashioned people with very low or nil divorce rates, good family life, healthy living etc.. Now look at the other communities around them. They are a total disaster. Let us keep close to our heritage and traditions where there is safety. Am I clearer now?
Related NSC Network Articles
- Sixteenth Century Churches – Churches belonging to Catholics and Syriac Orthodox ( 1818 AD-Statistics)
- Ancient Churches with traditional dates of foundation & Stone Crosses of Kerala- Saint Thomas Cross, Nazraney Sthambams and other Persian Crosses
- ‘The Syrian Christians of Kerala, Demographic and Socio-Economic Transition In The Twentieth Century’ by K. C. Zachariah
- Surviving MSS- Old Testament Manuscripts, Psalms and New Testament Manuscripts of Christians of Saint Thomas
- SRITE- Project for Preserving the Manuscripts of the Syrian Christians in India
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India’- Volume II , Chief Editor Prof.George Menachery
- Palm Sunday ( Kuruthola Perunnal), Maundy Thursday( Pesaha), Good Friday (Dukha Velli) and Easter among Saint Thomas Christians of India
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar