Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church
Chaldean Syrian Church, Coonan Cross Oath, Division and Rite, Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church, Malankara Orthodox Syriac Church, Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church, Modern History, Saint Thomas Christian Liturgy, Syond of Diamper, Syro Malabar Church, Syro Malankara Church - Sunday, January 14, 2007 23:43 - 88 Comments
Divisions and Rite of the Churches- Syro Malabar Church, Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church ,Malankara Orthodox Syriac Church, Thozhiyur Church, Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church, Syro Malankara Church, Chaldean Syrain Church.
Note- The objective of this article is to provide a brief outline about the divisions and to provide some details about the rite of each individual churches. This is a revised article. Please also read the discussion where some of the arguments are better explained.
The topics covered are as follows,
I. Church of Saint Thomas Christians until the arrival of Portuguese
II. About the Siant Thomas Christians early Liturgy
III. About the name of the Church
IV. After the arrival of Portuguese in Malabar
V. After the death of the Chaldean Metropolitan Mar Abraham
Syond of Diamper, Changes in Liturgy after the Syond, Coonan Cross Oath
VI. After the Coonan Cross Oath
VII. Succeeding centuries among the Catholics- Syro Malabar Church
VIII. About the Syro Malabar Church in India
Division in Syro Malabar Church, About the Syro Malabar Church name, About the Syro Malabar Church Liturgy,
IX. About Chaldean Syrian Church
About the Chaldean Syrian Church name, About the Chaldean Syrian Church Liturgy
X. Succeeding centuries among the Malankara Syriac Orthodox
XI. About the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church in India
Divisions in Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church, About the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church name, About the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Liturgy
XII. About the Thozhiyur Church (Anjoorians)
About the Thozhiyur Church name, About the Thozhiyur Church Liturgy
XIII. About the Syrian Anglican Church
XIV. About Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church
About the Malankara Mar Thoma Church name, About Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church Liturgy
XV. Split among the Malankara Syriac Orthodox
XVI. About Syro Malankara Church
About the Syro Malankara Church name, About Syro Malankara Church Liturgy
XVII. Summary and Demography
I. Church of Saint Thomas Christians until the arrival of Portuguese
The Church of Saint Thomas Christians was hierarchically subordinated under the Patriarch Seleucia- Ctesiphon, which was known differently as Church of Seleucia or better Seleucia-Ctesiphon, later on called as the church of Babylon or Church of East or Chaldean Church or Assyrian Church.
The Indian Church was raised to the rank of a Metropolitan Church in 714/728 AD. Continue…
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- All of us are proud Indians. But it does not prohibit us from seeking our roots and heritage. All humans belong to one big family,...
- Myself a Syrian Christian from Kunnakulam - Kerala, gave my DNA for tesing to the Genographic Project. (Geno 2.0) The paternal res...
- Dear Dipak,
Politly, let me say that it is you who miss the point. There is no body here who is claiming that he or she is sup...
- Thank you Arun for those kind words. I am in total agreement with you.
Isn't it about time people stopped trying to claim 'what...
- International man of mystery >> http://sharbtho.blogspot.in/2013/05/the-georgios-mystery.html...
- Callucera is the ancient Kallissery palli were many events related to Malankara Nazranis occurred....
- Dear Brothers & Sisters,
It is very interesting to read the comments. It was very informative. I realized that as human bei...
- Yes Mr. Thomas, interesting to hear of these politics during our 'polarization' times :)...
- Thanks Sujith for this informative post and the link to the video.
It is very interesting to know that there was an associate o...
- Not exactly connected with the post on this page but Dr. Mar Aprem gives some interesting historical information on one in party w...
- Dear Mathai Varghese,
There's no doubt regarding the Middle Eastern 'genetic' Connection (i wouldn't say Jewish) of the Malayal...
- Dear Sunny,
You use the word 'Orientals'. It has a very wide meaning. China/India is part of the Orient, so is Japan, so is Pe...
- 'Cangnarpalli' is definitely Kanjirapally. The "Kanjirapally Pazhayapally" belonging to the Syro Malabar Catholic Church was conse...
- I read somewhere that Mar Thoma went towards 'Socotra' near Yemen from Parthia, but wind became hostile and the ship sailed to Mal...
- Dear Jacob,
I too shared you view, until I read the book 'The Jewish Background of the Indian People' by Abraham Benhur. After...
- It is extremely unlikely that Saint Thomas the Apostle visited Kerala in the 1st century AD, though one may argue that the circums...
- Actually the information provided by Mr Joseph regarding the 1st, 2nd and third generation churches is true. What he meant through...
- This forum is primarily a pro oriental forum, intended to showcase articles from members of the community about Nasranis and St. Thomas Christianity.
- We features different authors, with different opinions,with a passion to express them.
- The primary objective is to build awareness about Nasrani culture, traditions, heritage and for sharing different perspectives of history / relevant information’s concerning the community
- We promise to do our part in delivering the most informative, interesting articles possible, but we need a strong community to help nurture it. So subscribe today, and let us know what you think.
↑ Publish, Share, Publicities articles concerning heritage, traditions, culture and historical research.
↑ Provide an overview of history from contributing articles and citing books of well known authors.
↑ Publicities and provide review for works of well known authors, historians and projects concerning the community and society at large.
↑ Providing review of articles published by authors about the community.
↑ Highlighting the contributions of the community to the society.
↑ To provide awareness about the community, history, pilgrim centers and analysis of news concerning the Syrian Christian community.
↑ To build unity among different denominations of St. Thomas Christian community through collective efforts.
↑ Posts aligned with our objectives are most welcome, regardless of opinion.
↑ Please, post your opinions on relevant articles. Its good to have related discussions along with the article for the benefit of readers. Complete list of the articles are listed in the Archives page and please use that for identifying discussed topics.
↑ Posts concerning issues which are of importance and on general topics, please use the relevant discussion pages.
↑ We encourage comments, critiques, questions, additional/ related/missing information, suggestions and corrections.
↑ We also encourage participants to provide answers to questions raised on article or on posts.
↑ Please stay on topic, respect other people’s opinions, avoid profanity, offensive statements or anything else that might otherwise violate our policy
- If you would like to colloborate please drop us an email.