Medieval History, Modern History, Syro Malabar Church, Thomas Christians - Wednesday, June 8, 2011 21:36 - 105 Comments
Major Arch Bishop Alencheril Mar Giwargis II Bava-The Patriarch of Syro Malabar Church and The Gate of All India- A Discussion on The Historical Hierarchical Status of The Church of Saint Thomas Christians
Syro-Malabar Church is an Eastern Catholic Church in communion with the Pope of Rome. It is an Apostolic Church founded by Saint Thomas, one of the twelve disciples of Jesus. Syro Malabar Church is the largest group of Saint Thomas Christians. The term Syro Malabar was coined by the Western Missionaries to denote ‘the Syrian Church of Malabar’- those catholics that follow the Syro Chaldean rite.
Sui iuris Churches. 1
These are the Eastern Rite Churches that are in communion with the Roman Pontiff, the Pope. They are Churches of their own particular law. Syro Malabar Church is one among the 21 sui iuris Churches in the Universal Catholic Church. They consists of 6 Patriarchal Churches, 4 Major Archi Episcopal Churches, 3 Metropolitan Churches and 9 other sui iuris churches.
Patriarchal Churches are the fully developed particular churches with a Patriarch as the head with its own synod and territory. The synod elects the Patriarch and inform the Universal Pontiff, the Pope of Rome. Major Archi Episcopal Churches have a Major Arch Bishop as the head, slightly inferior to the status of a Patriarch. The synod elects the Major Arch Bishop, but needs confirmation by the Pope. Pope can reject the election.
Patriarchal Churches in Catholic communion.
1. Coptic Catholic Church based in Cairo
2. Maronite Church of Lebanon Continue…
- 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_iurus_chuch, also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Catholic_Churches#cite_note-28, accessed on 18/06/2011 [↩]
- The Story of Joseph, the Indian; A Historical Appraisal of the Affairs of St Thomas’ Christians in the Pre Portuguese period
- Prelates of Nasranis till the Synod of Udayamperoor- List of early Bishops till 1599 AD
- Thomas-Malabar Connection & The Jewish Heritage, A Biblical & Analytical Approach
- Role, Characteristics, List and Tomb of Archdeacons (Arkadiyakons) of Saint Thomas Christians
- Kerala Syrian Christian, Apostle in India, The tomb of the Apostle, Persian Church, Syond of Diamper – Coonan Cross Oath, Subsequent divisions and the Nasrani People
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Dear Mathai
I was not replying to you but to jinoy who seemed to link those(or maybe i just felt like that)...
- Dear sj,
I am involved a lot into DNA. I or others do not recollect connecting 'DNA with Salvation'. They are both very differ...
- It is not difficult for the Malankara Nazranis to re establish the office of ARKADIYOKAN without disturbing the existing setup of ...
- The population size of the Syrian Christians is approximately 30 Lakhs. Applying the principles of statistics, we can deduce that ...
- Jinoy , i personally dont care about having jewish dna .As a whole people who have tested from our community show 5-10% of dna si...
- dear sj,
it is very difficult and tough to follow the real nazrani lfe style in present condition according to my knowledge....
- dear sj,
i never say that the holy bible is a history book.you wrongly interpreted my word.i don't have any negative response...
- Dear nazrani mathai varghese,
can you check my dna history if possible.please reply
- Jinoy i dont understand your incoherent comment .you are crazy to connect bible and history . Bible is not a history book though ...
- Dear John
never mind if u have downloaded the data .u got everything u need from it...
- dear nazrani mathai varghese,
please read ezekiel chapter 18 also.
- dear nazrani mathai varghese,
you may have read in bible about our history( nazrani history).I believes the god never lo...
- SJ my computer used to remember my geographic id so I didn't bother to note it.down. Then one day it didn't bring up the ID any...
- And mine ...
- Dear John
You can recover your login if you have your genographic ID by registering with them since you havent already register...
- Dear Jinoy
There are people who are interested in ancestry and genetics for various reasons . For them it is not a waste of time ...
- Dear Jinoy,
If it is okay with you to take a family photo of yourself, grandfather (sometimes even greatgrand father) and other...
- This forum is primarily a pro oriental forum, intended to showcase articles from members of the community about Nasranis and St. Thomas Christianity.
- We features different authors, with different opinions,with a passion to express them.
- The primary objective is to build awareness about Nasrani culture, traditions, heritage and for sharing different perspectives of history / relevant information’s concerning the community
- We promise to do our part in delivering the most informative, interesting articles possible, but we need a strong community to help nurture it. So subscribe today, and let us know what you think.
↑ Publish, Share, Publicities articles concerning heritage, traditions, culture and historical research.
↑ Provide an overview of history from contributing articles and citing books of well known authors.
↑ Publicities and provide review for works of well known authors, historians and projects concerning the community and society at large.
↑ Providing review of articles published by authors about the community.
↑ Highlighting the contributions of the community to the society.
↑ To provide awareness about the community, history, pilgrim centers and analysis of news concerning the Syrian Christian community.
↑ To build unity among different denominations of St. Thomas Christian community through collective efforts.
↑ Posts aligned with our objectives are most welcome, regardless of opinion.
↑ Please, post your opinions on relevant articles. Its good to have related discussions along with the article for the benefit of readers. Complete list of the articles are listed in the Archives page and please use that for identifying discussed topics.
↑ Posts concerning issues which are of importance and on general topics, please use the relevant discussion pages.
↑ We encourage comments, critiques, questions, additional/ related/missing information, suggestions and corrections.
↑ We also encourage participants to provide answers to questions raised on article or on posts.
↑ Please stay on topic, respect other people’s opinions, avoid profanity, offensive statements or anything else that might otherwise violate our policy
- If you would like to colloborate please drop us an email.