Copper plates, Early History, History, Indian Tradition, Mar Sabrisho and Mar Piruz, Thomas Christians
As far as I’ve seen, Garshuni MSS in …
Comment posted Nazrani Christians and the Social Processes of Kerala, 800-1500 by John Mathew.
As far as I’ve seen, Garshuni MSS in India (i.e., Syriac letters being used to write Malayalam, mainly for the benefit of West Asian clerics who had to communicate, deliver sermons, etc., with Indian laity) are very late.
If you want to find a wealth of info on this, you can read the various catalogues of Syriac MSS (available online for free: google books, the BYU/CUA Syriac Studies pages, etc.) to see descriptions of Garshuni MSS from Malabar. Perzcel’s SRITE project must have digitized images … but that is not open. I think they are disseminating their results via (… the infamous cabal of parasitical profiteers known as…) Gorgias Press.
I was interested in this a while ago for similar reasons as what you described (i.e., trying to attest the relationship between India and West Asian Churches) and I came to the realization that Garshuni is not the way to go — everything I saw was of a late (i.e., post 16th c) date.
Perhaps (hopefully?!) someone else here has seen earlier MSS?
Related NSC Network Articles
- ‘Jornada of Dom Alexis de Menezes: A Portuguese account of the Sixteenth century Malabar’ edited by Dr. Pius Malekandathil
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India’- Volume II , Chief Editor Prof.George Menachery
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India’- Volume I -Prof. George Menachery
- The Edicts, Copper Plates and Privileges- Quilon (Tarisapalli) plates, Thazhekad edict, Iravi Kortan plate and Cana Thomman plate
- Margam Kali – History, Theme, Early References and Modern Developments
- ‘St. Thomas Christians and Nambudiris, Jews and Sangam Literature – A Historical Appraisal’, Bosco Puthur (Editor)
- Arrival of Mar Sabrisho and Mar Piruz, Earliest Reports, Copper Plates, Katheeshangal,Christians & Churches at Quilon
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar