Dear John, It was only 5 years ago, when …
Comment posted Lifestyle of Kerala Syrian Christians by George Mathew.
It was only 5 years ago, when I was 45 years old that I first heard of ‘Abraham Malpan’ and that was from a Syro Malabar person none other than my ex-boss ‘Mr. Xavier Kalangara. He was very suprised that a staunch Marthomite like me had not even heard about Abraham Malpan. Xavier will vouch for this. I remember the laugh that Xavier gave at my ignorance (I am not criticising, I now know that mine was really laughable). This happened in Doha.
I too dont’ read and write Malayalam but can manage speaking.
As Jackson said, this is the case of hundreds, if not thousands of Keralites who grew up outside Kerala which is not our fault. But we all have this love for Kerala and our lost heritage. I think the Psalm/Bony M should go like this…. By the rivers of America, there we sat down…. … we remember Kerala…..’
Related NSC Network Articles
- Some of the traditions and rituals among the Syrian Christians of Kerala
- ‘The Syrian Christians of Kerala, Demographic and Socio-Economic Transition In The Twentieth Century’ by K. C. Zachariah
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India’- Volume II , Chief Editor Prof.George Menachery
- Names, Middle Names and Last Names among the Syrian Christians
- ‘The Indian Christians of St. Thomas’ by Dr. Leslie Brown
- A Syrian Christian Family Portrait – Circa 1620 A.D.
- ‘St. Thomas Christians and Nambudiris, Jews and Sangam Literature – A Historical Appraisal’, Bosco Puthur (Editor)
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar