John, Why cannot western church use icons of angels …
Comment posted The Mural tradition of Kerala Churches by M Thomas Antony.
Why cannot western church use icons of angels ? I have seen many pictures and sculptures of angel faces similar to our churches in the west also.
Angels are very important in latin worship also. When Syro Malabarians sing “Chrovee srappeen mar unnatha doothanmar….”, the latin church say “cherubins and seraphins”.( cherubin is Chroven and seraphins are srappens ) . The “Priests for latinisation in the name of Indianisation” are a bit shy to sing chrove srappee…… now a days knowingly or unknowingly that the latin church also remember them in the Holy mass.
I do not remember where, I have read recently about the names of the angels and I think Chroven and
Srappens are names of a big group of angels.
There is an article in Wikipedia about angels and besides christians, there are several other religions also consider angels including Islam. Gabriel, Michael etc are in Islam also. The Hindu belief- kaalan- must be the angel of death in Hinduism.
According to Swami Vivekananda’s theory of jeevatma and paramatma, all humans, if they do good things in their life, become paramatmas who can travel any distance beating time and space- classical description of angels !
Related NSC Network Articles
- Focus III- Cheppad St. George Church
- What Every Nasrani Needs to Know–And Doesn’t
- The Syrian Christian Church – An Architectural Overview
- Church feast and festivals in Central Kerala-Kottayam
- St.George- Geevarghese Sahada traditions and rituals among Nasranis
- Ancient Churches with traditional dates of foundation & Stone Crosses of Kerala- Saint Thomas Cross, Nazraney Sthambams and other Persian Crosses
- Churches on demolition line – Ramapuram Twin Churches
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar