Re. Bartholomew and India, see the following link. http://konkanicatholics.blogspot.com/2006/08/st-bartholomews-india-connection.html I …
Comment posted Mission of Pantaenus in India and Saint Bartholomew, the Apostle in India by M Thomas Antony.
Re. Bartholomew and India, see the following link.
I am not sure about the credibility of the information. It is said that there were icons of St Thomas and St Bartholomew on the farcade of the 1806 church built by Portuguese in kalyanapura. This must be due to local tradition or any evidences. This story must be considered in the light of the finding of a Persian cross also in Goa.
Eusebius’s account of Pantenius tells about Bartholomew mission in India, Jerome tells that “Pantenius was sent by Demetrius to India so that he might preach Christ among the Brahmins and philosophers of that nation”. The mention of Brahmins certainly settles the place as India. (This is also quoted from the same blog.)
Again, I have read that there was a group of Goan Catholics joined the Puthencoor in Kerala at a certain point after the revolt in kerala- possibilities are they were originally syriac christians fully latinised by Portuguese and when there were problems with the relations with the Portuguese missionaries, they just joined an available syriac church.
Are there any other traditions or references available ?
Related NSC Network Articles
- Letters of St. Thomas the Apostle to Edessa from India
- ‘East of the Euphrates- Early Christianity in Asia’ by T.V. Philip
- ‘Origin of Christianity in India’ by Dr.Benedict Vadakkekara
- “Christianity in India- a History in ecumenical perspective” by HC Perumalil and ER Hambye
- Early references about the Apostolate of Saint Thomas in India, Records about the Indian tradition, Saint Thomas Christians & Statements by Indian Statesmen
- ‘The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India’- Volume I -Prof. George Menachery
- ‘The Indian Christians of St. Thomas’ by Dr. Leslie Brown
Get NEW Articles by e-mail / Enter your e-mail
Nasrani Syrian Christians NETWORK Snapshot
- Nazrani History and Discourse on Early Nationalism in Varthamanapusthakam
- PESAHA CELEBRATION OF NASRANIS: A SOCIO-CULTURAL ANALYSIS
- Saint Thomas Christians in the Shaping of Modern Kerala
- Ikkako Kathanar -the forgotten martyr
- MS Vatican Syriac 22 & MS Vatican Syriac 17: Syriac Manuscripts copied in South India
- Patriarchate Of India- An Appraisal Of The Evolution Of The Episcopal Hierarchy Among Thomas Christians Of Malabar